Saturday 12 May 2012

The Perfect Facebook Game Requirements

So I always have all these blog ideas running through my head and I never just sit down and write them. So here’s what I’m doing. Prepare for an onslaught of random entries that don’t link together and may or may not have anything to do with my life in general.
***
I’m a Facebook game addict. There. I admitted it. I will join any game and play it until I get bored. Therefore, with the many games I’ve played, there’s a few things that I’ve realized will keep me hooked or just make me find it a chore to click on and continue the game.
  1. Action: Games like MouseHunt, Mafia Wars or whatever are boring. Not only do they have other listed factors that I dislike, but click a “do this” button and then seeing a progress bar increase in a list of things is just no excitement to me. I need something where I can see people moving around, see little animations react to my mouse, etc.
  2. Energy limits: I hate games that have energy limits. I choose a game because I want it to kill time. If you limit me to how long I can play a certain game, then I won’t enjoy playing it.
  3. Time limits: Like energy limits; a time limit controls you. It will make you come back within a certain time frame just to make sure your “crop” or “potion” or whatever doesn’t spoil. I don’t want to rush home and go on Facebook in an hours time just to harvest my crop *cough Farmville cough* Because if I do happen to have a life, and I miss my time frame, then the thing isn’t going to magically unwither without a cost. Who wants to get punished for having a life?
  4. Goals: Games that have goals are good. They make you want to keep going because the feeling of achieving something is good. However…
  5. Goals that need friends: Goals which require you to send notifications to your friends or require you to post on your wall for your friends to click on is annoying. Not only is it embarrassing – I mean it’s sad enough to play Facebook games, but to have to admit them?! – but it is also annoying for most of your friends to see it on their newsfeed. Who knows, before long someone could delete you! I’ve bypassed this (sort of) by creating a friend list that plays these games, so when I do need to publish something on my wall, it will only be visible to them. Doesn’t stop it from being annoying and a chore though.
  6. Adding neighbours: Gee game, thanks for pointing out the fact that I have NO FRIENDS. Because if I did have friends, I certainly wouldn’t be stuck at home playing games like this. Goals that make you add your friends as neighbours just to complete goals is also the same annoyance as the games that want you to post shit on your wall. What if none of your friends play that game? Then what?
  7. Thinking too hard: IQ games hurt my head. As do hardcore strategy games. I like Tetris Battle and Bubble Island and what not, but those aren’t turn-by-turn strategy games, nor do they measure your intelligence like Brain Buddies. I mean, who is going to enjoy a game that makes them feel stupid?
So there’s my list. I know, I know, I’m picky about something that doesn’t really matter at all.
Anyone have a perfect game for me to try? So far only Bejeweled Blitz seems to have check all my boxes, but it can get a bit tedious.. So I dunno…

Other games I’m in the process of trying:

internet-addict

No comments: